description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Thursday, 26 January 2012

Australia Day




We didn't do a lot as Luath had her 1 year old injections, this is what we did:

Read some of our Australia animal themed books.

Made a kangaroo game out of two cereal boxes.  Very much about the process not the product!  Game was to put little kangaroos into the big kangaroo's pouch.


I couldn't find some of my Aussie decorations/toys, so it was a lonely koala as our table decoration.
I suggested we have a BBQ but daddy thought I was crazy.  So I made a veggie pizza and added some pineapple (reminds me of sunny weather).
sideways instead of upside!

Made and ate some Anzac biscuits.very yummy, daddy said they were the best thing I have ever baked!  Recipe from the bbc good food site

85g porridge oats
85g desiccated coconut
100g plain flour
100g caster sugar
100g butter , plus extra butter for greasing
1 tbsp golden syrup
(1 tsp bicarbonate of soda  we didn't have any so missed this out)

Melt the butter, add the syrup.  Mix bic of soda with 2 tablespoon boiling water and add to syrup mix,Mix all other ingreds.  Make a well.  Add syrup mixture.  Stir gently.Put dessertspoonfuls of the mixture onto greased baking tray.  Bake 8-10mins at 180C/fan 160C/gas 4Cool on a wire rack. 
 
Some Australia Day things I have found:
our worldwide classroom has made an Australia Day themed learning pack  and a post about aboriginal dot painting
 united teaching discoveries has some links to Australia themed lapbooks
living on a latte has posted some of her Australia Day items that she has pinned on pinterest
Australia Day has some activities including colouring in and animal masks.  It has other information on the rest of the site.
  Activity village has lots of different things Australia based,  including a kangaroo lacing card, outback clothes for paper dolls, Australian slang booklet, Australia themed mini booklets, animal and bird flashcards.
  DLKT has some recipes, the national anthem, crafts, worksheets
  ed helper has some read along books (you need to join the site)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets