My mum and I have been collecting milk bottle tops for a while as I thought they would be useful for different activities. Luath is slowly coming out of her mouthing stage so I thought it was time to take them out and see what we could do with them. Some of the things we did I wasn't expecting Luath to be able to do, I was just interested to see what she could do and what she understood. We mainly have red, blue and green tops so I used these three colours for most activities. NB I didn't leave Luath alone with the bottle tops, they are large enough that it is highly unlikely she could swallow them but she did a couple of times hold them between her teeth.
Sorting
I placed the tops in a basket. I then took three jars and showed Luath me putting one of a colour in a jar. I then repeat the same thing again so each jar had two of a particular colour. Luath copied my putting a top in a jar, sometimes she would do a few right and I would think she understood, but then she would just mix the colours up.
Selecting a twin
I placed three of each colour on a tray. It took a little time until Luath let me place all nine tops down and not then pick them up. I was in no rush so I just waited until I got them down. I then picked up a top from the spare tops in the basket and asked Luath to find me one that was the same. The first three times she selected the twin, but after that she just picked up anyone.
Stacking
I tried stacking the tops, they don't stack well if they are all facing the same direction, but if you alternate direction, they stack great. This was too difficult for Luath, I didn't ask her to try, but she enjoyed me stacking and her knocking the pile down.
Making patterns
I like the pattern blocks and cards that I have seen so I tried out making some shapes and objects with the tops. I can see this being a good activity in the future. It would be quite easy to make up some cards for Luath to copy.
Musical shaker
Using the jars from the sorting game, we put some tops into the jar and then screwed the lid on. They made some fun shakers. They were also fun to roll. The dog joined in with this, she thought they were a great new toy.
Just in case you think all this ran smoothly and textbook style here is Luath sitting on the tray (she is still putting tops into a jar).
shared with Tuesday tots see what else tots have been doing

Great ideas. If you have a huge collection of milk tops you have to check out this blog - it is not in English but the pictures are awesome. Full of ideas for lids - http://reciclandoenlaescuela.blogspot.com/2011/01/74-juegos-de-geometria.html
ReplyDeleteFound you over at Tuesday Tots
what a lot of tops you collected. The game is grat. ( Goggle translates your pages quite well)
DeleteI love your ideas. I, too, have a collection of milk-bottle tops and have been trying to decide what to do with them. My son is 2.5 and he would absolutely love the pattern block idea! Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteIt'll be a good challenge to make up some fun patterns to copy
DeleteThese are some great ideas! I need to start collecting tops now. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for linking up to Tuesday Tots - so wish we got milk like that as we still go with our milk man so don't get any :(
ReplyDelete