description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Thursday, 24 May 2012

Toddler kitchen - Trying something new - dudhi




I don't have a fear of trying something different, I just can be a bit apprehensive about taking that first taste.  I am not the most adventurous and I think a lot of that is because we ate pretty basic and relatively bland food as a child.  I was 17 before I ate pizza!  It took into my late 20s to enjoy chilli and curry.  Luath already eats a wider selection of food than we did as teenagers..  We try to offer Luath a variety and differing tastes along with food/meals that she enjoys.

I  noticed that our supermarket has some different fruit and vegetables.  I took the plunge and selected something I hadn't heard of before and had no idea how to cook.  A dudhi.


It is actually a bottle gourd and has a few different names.  I peeled it and cut into it.  Looks pretty much like a courgette (a member of the same family) 



    I looked up some recipes online, the main one being a dessert, but it sounded far too sweet for us.  The other one was a chickpea curry.  In the end I just made a sort of curry/chilli dish.


Reminds me of a courgette.  The taste of the dudhi is pretty much nil.  Daddy described it a bit like pineapple without the taste.  I wont be buying it again, although we will be trying some more new foods out as it is good for us all to experience new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets