description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Indoor Play - Simple (bilingual) game - What is in the basket?

This a simple game that I have taken from a story book that we borrowed from the library.  We are raising Luath with English and Scottish Gaelic.  Daddy is fluent in both, I am very much a Gaelic beginner.  I want to try and learn along with Luath and also as I am with Luath the most, I feel it is important that I use both languages.  This game helped both Luath and I.

Anns A' Bhasgaid (Iain agus Anna agus Mise, #3)

The book is from a series initially in Welsh of simple stories for parents to read to young children.  It has pronunciation at the back to help.   This book is  "In the basket".  It starts with the teacher holding a basket and you learn that there is a teddy hiding there.   The teacher then sits with her class, she selects an object from her basket and asks what it is.  Banana, car and dog.  For each object she has an additional question.  What colour is the banana?  How many cars?   What noise does a dog make?   Each time the teddy says an answer, but is is wrong, so teacher corrects him.  Finally there is one thing left in the basket - teddy.

I gathered all the objects, placed them in a basket.  As I read the story I used the objects.  I put on a different voice for the teddy.  Once we had read the story a few times, we did the game without the book.


We then went on to use different objects in the basket. I didn't always add in the extra questions as Luath can't answer them, but it is fun to have the teddy answer them. Luath adds new words to her vocab every day, mostly English, so I tried to make this a Gaelic only word game.  If she said the English I  would say in Gaelic "yes, a dog".  (dog is a bit confusing as it is Cu, which sounds the same as coo, which is Scots for cow.  We read and use some Scots words too, she has books that have coos in them).

This game could be done with various ages and not necessarily as a second language game.

shared with Tuesday tots see what else tots have been doing
Tuesday Tots

(Luath is 16 months)

1 comment:

  1. What a great game and it would be brilliant for early toddlers for language development.

    Thank you for linking to Tuesday Tots this week

    ReplyDelete

Commets