description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Toddler kitchen – carrot cake bars

toddler kitchen

We made some carrot cake bars today.  Luath has helped me a few times in the kitchen while preparing meals but today was more about taking time to make and enjoy the process.
Luath still likes to put things in her mouth so I had a search for a recipe that sounded yummy but all the ingredients needed to be OK to eat raw.  I found this recipe on the little things blog. The ingredients are a carrot, oats, cinnamon, desiccated coconut, raisins and water (sugar/honey if wished).  Luath enjoyed the mixing part.  I put the bowl on the floor to make it easier for her.
mix
Our end product turned out more like a granola topping than bars.  The blog does say it makes six small bars and I think they must be pretty small.  Further in the comments it suggests using a 8 x 5 baking pan  – ours was way too big.

Luath seemed to quite like them, daddy thought they needed to be sweeter and I was undecided if they were fine or needed some honey.  I am going to use the topping on our porridge tomorrow and see how it works.

We will try making these again but a bigger batch as they can be frozen.
There is also a recipe for Christmas carrot cake bars by adding cranberries, orange peel and  nuts (optional)


Shared with Tuesday tots, see what else tots are up to
Tuesday Tots

6 comments:

  1. I was intrigued by the name of your post :-) We'll have to try them out. I have a linky for baking with your kids and I'd love you to share this http://happywhimsicalhearts.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/happy-lil-s-are-baking-15.html

    Warmly, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks I'll pop over and link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are going to try these today after i found you on happy whimsical hearts. i'm trying to lose weight so the health cake thing appealed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to see how they work out for you. I am hoping to retry them again in the next few days and hopfully this time they turn out like bars!

      Delete
    2. hmmm - they were not an unmitigated success! My son gagged on the first bite and refused to eat any more! I guess the problem with healthy is you lose some of the yummy! (Oh dear that kind of comment will get me in trouble). Anyway I did a post on them if you are interested http://tamingthegoblin.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/carrot-and-oat-bar-baking-fail.html

      Delete
    3. I think that was daddy's response too, Luath liked them but then she is younger than Goblin. We haven't had time to retry them. It's interesting that the inital post on the little things blog has them as a very popular recipe

      Delete

Commets