description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Thursday, 5 April 2012

Indoor play embracing a climbing passion

So what do you do when your 14 month old has a new found passion for climbing



and seems to have no inbuilt safety valve?  And I mean no safety valve, since she could move, Luath would quite happily roll/crawl/step off sofas, beds or stairs.  I have tried letting her very safely fall off the sofa, bed and down the last two steps,  tried teaching her to wait or to turn around and come off feet first, all to no avail. Add to that  Luath's desire to explore upwards and argh!  So what did I do?


I decided to gather up quilts, cushions, pillows, sun lounger pads, some wooden planks and an exercise trampette, and turned the living room into an adventure zone.  Mostly for fun and let her enjoy climbing without me stopping her, but also maybe she might learn some sense of stepping off things means a fall.


Her safety valve still appears to be switched off but she had a blast.

Climbing onto the sofa since there was a mattress a a step.




Crawling and walking up/down a slope.

 



Bouncing on the trampette.  Sometimes with wooden eggs and balls. (She loved this so much that I took the legs off the trampette and let her play on this later in the day - when I took this photo)







Playing with her wooden eggs and balls, watching them roll and bounce.



It did take a bit of time to set up and put away all the pieces but it was well worth the effort.

Shared with tuesday tots via Rainy Day Mum, see what other tots are up to  and Baby Play Friday at Sense of Wonder, see what other play is going on and It's playtime via Imagination Tree
see more playtime
Tuesday Tots





1 comment:

Commets