In the lead up to Earth Day this week’s theme is birds. We have been looking at real birds but today we did some pretend bird spotting.
First I took some photos of the bird soft toys/puppets/wash mitts that we have. I made them into a spotter sheet.
I made a pair of binoculars. These were very basic as I knew they would be chewed and taken apart. I used two small pieces from a kitchen roll tube, made small holes with a golf tee and tied them together with an bag tie wrap.
Next we set up the bird hide. I was going to use our wooden clothes horse style play frames and drape them with sheets but it was quicker and easier to use the pop up house – it could do with a bit of camouflage!
Then we went spotting for birds. We get quite a variety of visitors to our living room – owl, duck, parrot, kookaburra, kiwi and more.
I only got photos of the set up as we were too busy looking out for the birds. Luath thought it was funny when I looked through the binoculars, especially at her, she wasn’t quite so keen to look through them. She did take them apart very quickly once I gave them to her. The hide wasn’t used but she loved looking for the birds.
This is a play activity that we will be able to do on many different occasions and we will be able to expand as Luath grows older. It will be easy to adapt to using other toys for different spotting – on safari, trains etc We could change the location, in a different room, over a few rooms or in the garden. I am quite excited about the thought of spotting a tiger lurking among our bushes and a monkey in a tree. Oh I have just thought, I am going to put one of Luath’s birds on the bird table tomorrow, that’ll give her a surprise.
shared with Tuesday tots, see what else tots have been doing
< p="">
No comments:
Post a Comment
Commets