![]() |
| 15 months |
This week we had a rainbow theme, not quite a nursery rhyme but we used "I can sing a rainbow". The main aim was to reinforce our weekly rhythm (background post) - each day has a different colour. The secondary aim was to ensure as a family we are eating a rainbow of fruit and vegetables, and also broadening our selection. Rainbow fruit and vegetable resource links. ( At the end of the week I discovered that there is a rainbow blog hop, I have linked this post there are lots of ideas from the hop via outlaw mum)
I made some pages of fruit and vegetables in colour groups.
![]() |
| Pages made using this source |
I also made some 3 part cards using free clipart by sweetclipart. I didn't end up using these as I discovered the above colour charts after I made them (I made them while Luath had a long sleep, they are more for the future anyway). They are split into colours and have some fruit and vegetables per colour group, nothing major but you can download if helpful. red, orange, yellow, green, blue/purple
Activity File
This week's books were a bit of a mixture. We had some books that featured rainbows, others that had fruit and vegetables and some that had colours. I found a great book at the end of the week called "what makes a rainbow" (a magic ribbon book), it has a colour per double page, starting with red, there is a ribbon added for each colour, and ultimately you have all the ribbons of a rainbow. It ends with a pop up rainbow.
Activity File
This week's books were a bit of a mixture. We had some books that featured rainbows, others that had fruit and vegetables and some that had colours. I found a great book at the end of the week called "what makes a rainbow" (a magic ribbon book), it has a colour per double page, starting with red, there is a ribbon added for each colour, and ultimately you have all the ribbons of a rainbow. It ends with a pop up rainbow.
I kept out the stacking toy as Luath really enjoyed that last week - she didn't play with it much, so it does show that us rotating toys is a good idea. A stacking cup caterpillar, she was only interested in this a little, although she had fun throwing it off the sofa one evening. Her tray of fruit and vegetables were the most popular thing this week. They are velcro cutting food, but Luath puts the knives in her mouth so we just take the food apart.
Luath still is just taking puzzles pieces out, although she does try to put them back in at times (not in the right spaces I might add). I was working this week to see if she would take the pieces out and put them in a basket. I placed the basket on the right of the puzzle - this was a hit and miss activity.| activity file toys |
Our Rainbow Week
(linked to posts for the week for more detail)
red
We began the week by attempting to do some paint/crayon art and coloured rice play. I discovered that Luath is still at the eating stage.
| a little bit of red rice play before tasting |
| a little bit a drawing before
Luath started to eat the crayon
|
| helping prepare our red dinner |
orange
We linked up with a virtual book club via toddler approved this month's book was The Carrot Seed so our orange activities were carrot based. I tried to make paint coloured by carrots, we made and ate carrot muffins
| carrot muffins |
| carrot coloured paint |
| artist using a carrot and pastry brush |
| butternut squash, carrot and chickpea curry and an orange |
yellow
No extra activities today, but we continued with wearing, looking for and eating the day's colour
| sweetcorn, cheese and egg (with spinach, it looked too bland without the green) |
| banana and peanut butter snack |
green
I got myself all confused as I had looked out blue clothes for Luath and it was only after we were dressed I realised it was supposed to be green day, so she wore blue clothes on green day and green clothes on blue day (way to confuse us all!)
Today was also a odd day so I took almost no photos and as Luath and I were still crashed out until almost 6pm daddy made a high speed meal coloured orange!
We did eat a pear and I pointed out green objects.
blue
Apart from wearing some blue/green clothes we were back on track with our colour of the day. We ate some blueberries for breakfast, and I made and we played with blue playdough.
| home made blue play dough |
| spotting a purple flower |
| homemade frozen berries yoghurt |
white
Apart from Luath's clothes today was more of a rainbow day than white. We had multicoloured meals and looked for coloured stones on the beach - the beach looks white/grey from a distance but close up it is a multitude of colour.
rainbow
One major hit of the week were the coloured stars I had stamped out to use to record what colours of fruit and vegetables we eat over a week/month. Luath played multiple times and for some quite long sessions with them, some of the things we did with them - poured, transferred, threw them in the air, put them in our hair and scooped them. Yes sometimes they were all over the floor but they were easy to clean up. I made more over the week so we could fill a jar for an I-spy game. I am thinking if I stamp more I could fill a tub as it is as close as we will get to rainbow rice for a little while.
| who would have guessed stamped colour paper stars would be so much fun |
| Luath was fascinated by the star stamp |
Other things this week
We attended a fashion show at the high school. Daddy did some modelling. I had won a design a t-shirt competition so we saw how it looked on the cat walk.
Luath played a lot with her golf clubs and football
Luath has taken a huge leap in her verbal skills, she has been saying and repeating for months, but this week she started saying the last word in many of the rhymes/poems/stories that we read. It is quite amazing how much has been lodged in her brain just waiting for her verbal skills to catch up. It really shows how beneficial it is to repetitively sing and read simple rhymes and stories.


I love your food and color tie-in! What great unit.
ReplyDelete