description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Monday, 23 April 2012

Rainbow week - reinforcing our weekly rhythm

We try to follow a daily and weekly rhythm, nothing structured in such a way that we can't alter it.  When Luath was about 5 months old I thought I would give each day a colour to try and help her identify with each day and that on a certain colour day we tend to do a certain thing.  I have been a bit lax lately with this so decided to make a real effort this week.  Luath's understanding level has taken a huge leap in the last two weeks so I feel it is a perfect time to reconnect with our daily colours.

Daily Colours
Ways this week that I plan to add our daily colours (we don't do all these things every day every week, just more of them this week)  For that day's colour:

start the day with a coloured nappy

wear at least one piece of clothing in the colour

use a bib with coloured trim

eat with coloured tableware and use the drink mats I knitted muths ago

craft with that colour

play with that colour

look for objects that colour

One of the main things we will do is have one meal that the fruit and vegetables are of the day's colour.  We eat at least our 5-a-day, but some weeks I think we need a push to make sure we eat a balanced rainbow and we need to broaden our selection.  Some resource links I found.

I found some great pictures of fruit and vegetables per colour group here which  made into A4 pages, put into plastic pockets and into a file. 

I had a few ideas of ways we could record what colours we ate over a week and for now have decided to use coloured paper shapes in a jar.  I punched star shapes (just because that is the biggest shape stamp I have) out of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and white - I have purple paper somewhere, and I am debating about a brownish colour.    Over the week each time we eat a fruit/vegetable we will add that colour star to a jar.  I am not concerned for the time being re portion size.

Daily Rhythm chart
We have a very simple daily chart, day of the week within that day's colour and a clipart of any specific activity happening that day.  I haven't broken the day down into exactly what we do nor at the moment have set times/days for play/craft activities.  We have been a bit lax at using this too so I will aim to restart using this too.

(Luath is 15months)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets