description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Thursday, 19 April 2012

Earth Day – Act of green – Litter pick up

nurturing a nature lover copy
I stumbled across this site  a week or so ago and decided to add an act (a promise to do something).

My act of green:
Pick up and recycle litter seen while out walking
To be the "somebody else" that will pick the litter up

I tried to think of something that would be easy to do, that was ongoing and that Luath could over time join in with.
We always pick up and cut up any of the plastic drink can holders we find as they are so dangerous to wildlife.  Luath even picked one up and handed it to me over the weekend.  We live in a beautiful location and mostly there is no litter on our woodland walks but the tide in the sea loch can wash up a number of things.
It isn’t easy to carry more home when I already have Luath and the dog, but today I made the extra effort to carry a little more than usual home.
litter

Quite a bundle, all but two from the shore.  Four plastic drink bottles.   One very squashed and cut plastic ball pit ball.  One mini Frisbee.  One flower hair tie.  One wooden toy tool box(?!).  One buoy (this has been about for a while, I previously moved it higher than the tide line in case someone claimed it but nobody has).
The bottles are in the recycling.  The buoy is added to our display around our oil storage tank (the tank is so ugly that I am trying to beautify that area).  The tool box just needs a clean and will be great for outside play/collecting treasures.  The mini Frisbee will be cleaned and put with some other outdoor toys in the shed.  The ball pit ball binned.  I am undecided re the hair tie, whether to bin or to cut the tie and use it in Luath’s outdoor section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets