description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Friday, 27 April 2012

Virtual book club – The Carrot Seed



I decided to link up with the virtual book club again this month.  This month's book is The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss. We watched the book here.  It's the story of a boy who believes his seed will grow, even though everyone else doesn't.  We spread our activities over the month.

We sowed some sunflower and sweet pea seeds in pots.  Luath helped with the dibber and ensuring that the plant markers were taken for a walk round the garden.  She has helped me water the seeds.  We do have more seeds to sow soon (the ground is still a bit too chilly) including some non-orange carrots.

We did some cooking using carrots as an ingredient.  Carrot cake bars and  carrot muffins.


I had an experiment making paint coloured by carrots.  I need to work on the extraction of colour as it was much lighter than I had hoped. 

Luath did some painting onto orange paper using a pastry brush and a carrot.




As we didn't have the carrot seed book we read two other books about seeds.




We have just returned this library book and I have missed reading it.  Luath really enjoyed it and it became her book of the week (her favourite book),  A bird then a girl finds a seed. She plants and cares for it. It grows into a sunflower.  She saves the seeds and shares them with other pupils, who all sow and grow a sunflower.








Jasper's Beanstalk
I first saw this book when it was read at a Bookbug session.  Jasper plants a bean seed, each day of the week he tends for it in a different way, he is impatient and digs it up at one point.  It does finally grow, and grow,





Two others on our to read list






We are on the lookout for this book, our library doesn't have it.  The illustrations look great.











The Tiny Seed
We didn't read this one this month as it was out on loan, but I like it as it tells all the misfortunes that can happen to a seed.





(Luath is 15 months)

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you made your own paint using carrots! Thank you for sharing your ideas with our Virtual Book Club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, now we know that using natural ingredients for color is not enough, so food coloring is needed *sigh* ....
    But these activities are great ! I will definitely try painting wih carrots and the carrot bars !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to keep trying our fruit and vegetable dye efforts - I tried blueberry play dough today and that will work.

      Delete
  3. What a great range of activities - We have been exploring natural dyes and have used carrot - we used a carton of carrot juice which had a lovely vibrant bright orange colour - I think you need to extract the juice of a carrot to get the true colour - but I don't have a juicer and wouldn't know how to do it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh a juicer would be great, never thought of buying carrot juice!

      Delete

Commets