description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Thursday, 12 April 2012

Toddler Kitchen - Pizza


I used to make pizza with a bread dough but I found a quicker recipe in the Baby Led Weaning book (if interested in baby led weaning this is a great site and this booklet gives you the key points on BLW).  The recipe uses self raising flour - seemingly my aunt always makes pizza this way. We now eat this most Wednesdays and daddy likes it best with a spinach topping.

Some of the pizza making is too hot for Luath but she can help with the dough. I have given Luath some pizza dough of her own before but each time she has quickly thrown it on the floor. This time instead of giving her already mixed dough I put some flour and warm water in a small tub, mixed it a little, then gave her the spoon 
pizzadough-roll
I showed her me mixing the bigger bowl and then kneading the dough.  I then tipped Luath's dough out, put some flour on her tray and rolled the dough around
pizza-cutter 
She did this for about 30 seconds and then threw it on the floor!  I grabbed a butterfly cookie cutter and demonstrated pressing it into the dough. 
pizza-dough-press
This caught her interest and she played with the dough and cookie cutter long enough for me to roll out the pizza.
pizza-knife
While I was cutting up the cheese I gave Luath her (new) knife and a fork so she could cut up her dough (I showed her first).  She gave the knife a few moves but then preferred the feel of the metal against her teeth - tooth five has finally cut through but is annoying her).

When I ripped some basil leaves for the sauce I gave one to Luath and also mixed a ripped one into her dough - am wondering it I might add some basil to our next dough mix.
pizza-masher
Luath sometimes helps add (mostly she eats)  the toppings but today she was too busy with the dough and a potato masher.  It might be ready for me to make some playdough :)

No pictures of the final outcome, as daddy needed to get it out of the oven and ready for the table, but it was very yummy, even more so than usual

Recipe (this is from memory as I don't use the book now, I am a basic cook and I am never exact with timings etc)
Base:
225g self raising flour (or plain and add some baking powder)
90 ml warm water
3 tablespoons olive oil
(can add pinch salt)
Mix all ingredients.  Make into a dough.  Roll out to a  thickness and shape of your choosing.
Tomato sauce: I just use a tin of tomatoes, add some garlic and herbs.  Warm and then spread over base.
Cheese:I think it may say 100g,mozzarella but I just cut whatever cheese we have in the fridge and eyeball the amount
Topping:whatever you like.  Our favourite is frozen spinach and sweetcorn, which I micro for a few minutes before adding to pizza.
Bake at around 180 c  for about 15mins.

Shared with happy whimsical hearts see what else kids are baking and cooking this week  


1 comment:

  1. Another great recipe! Thank you for sharing :-)

    And I love that you tried the different things our with Luath! Makes me think I must start including my little one more (she is almost 10 months now)even in simple ways.

    ReplyDelete

Commets