description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Friday, 2 November 2012

A Storybook Theatre – The Gruffalo


One of our favourite books is The Gruffalo, we know it very well and have done a few different ways of bringing the book to life. We recently got a newish copy of The Gruffalo to replace our very battered book (it was very well loved when I got it years ago).  Our old copy was falling to bits and not fit to pass on but I didn’t want to throw it out.  Initially I planned to frame some of the artwork for a book nook, but I then thought I could make a lightweight frame and use the illustrations as background for a finger puppet show.  The idea evolved as Luath and I worked and it turned into a theatre.


Supplies:
Medium weight cardboard
Plastic pocket
Scissors
Sellotape and or glue
Background
Puppets
1. I found a piece of cardboard that was almost perfect, nearly A4 in the middle, with two wings and a little balance piece at the base.  I cut the cardboard in half, then cut an aperture  a little smaller than the plastic pocket. Cut it out as one piece and save for later.

2.  Attach the plastic pocket to cardboard, leaving a gap at the side so the background can slide in and out.  Attach the pocket to the front so it stays flush.
IMG_2779
3.  Attach the cardboard piece you cut for the aperture to the back of the plastic pocket – this gives it a little more strength and also reduces the light that falls on the background.

4. We added a stage later that day by using another piece of cardboard attached to the base.  I cut an area in the centre for the puppets to pop through.

5.  To make the theatre more stable I used the other half of the cardboard box, attaching it at the wings with clothes pegs,

6. Insert whatever you wish as your background.  You could use a photograph, drawn picture by you or little one, photocopy, printed image,colouring book pages, wallpaper, fabric or like us images from a almost fit for the bin book.

 
7.  Make your puppets (or use ones you already have).  We made quick paper and straw puppets.
 
8. Put on your show

       

I have already thought of so many different ways we can use this,  I also plan to make a few different sized lightweight frames that we can use directly over pages in books.

Shared with Tuesday tots and Read Explore Learn

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful theater! I love it. Thank you for sharing on Read.Explore.Learn. I will be featuring this post on the Read.Explore.Learn. Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. The quickly made starw puppets have been well used

      Delete
  2. I am going to feature this post on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Tots! I featured your post on In Lieu of Preschool: http://www.inlieuofpreschool.com/2012/11/books-plus-creativity-on-Tuesday-Tots-linky.html Off to pin now! Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button! :)

    ReplyDelete

Commets