description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Monday, 5 November 2012

Toddler Kitchen – Bonfire Buns

toddler kitchen  
This recipe is from Baking with Tiny Tots, it is very quick and easy if you have a food mixer.

1. Into a food processor put 100g (3 1/2 oz) softened butter (we use olive oil spread), 100g (3 1/2 oz) caster sugar (I reduced this amount) 2 eggs, 175g 96oz) self raising flour and 25g (1oz) cocoa powder.  Mix until well blended.   Luath enjoyed tipping the contents into the food processor  bowl and watching the mixture turn brown.

2. Put 8 muffin cases into a 8 cup muffin tin – we made 12 buns as there was plenty mixture.  Luath enjoys putting the cases into the tins.  Spoon mixture into muffin cases, Luath liked to point to the next case I should fill.

3, Bake at 180 (350F) for about 15 mins until risen and firm to touch.  Take out of oven but leave in tin for a few minutes before placing on cooling rack.  Let cool completely.

4. We didn’t quite follow the recipe for the icing part, this is what the book says - place 75g butter (3oz), 200g (7oz) icing sugar, few drops orange food colouring, 2 tablespoons range juice into a bowl, mix well, then spread around sides of muffins and over the top.  Then use  chocolate fingers (2 x 150g(5oz) packs) as bonfire sticks to decorate around the buns.

I made a small amount of the icing, reducing the sugar even more to spread on the top.  I used orange silicone cupcake cases.  I decided to give the chocolate fingers a miss.  It meant it didn’t really look like a bonfire but I thought that we could live with that!




I would make these again, the chocolate cakes were nice but I would work on the topping as it was too sweet for me.  Luath did like them but she decided that about an eighth of one was all she wanted (she is so better at stopping than me!).  Using the orange cases worked, I might use chopped orange fruit or colour some desiccated coconut or something similar to go on the top.  Still thinking about what I could use instead of the chocolate fingers – maybe make my own cocoa fingers.

(Luath is 21 months)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets