description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Monday, 12 August 2013

Nature – A Bug hotel

nurturing a nature lover copy
We have been adding to our wildlife corner in the garden and decided to upgrade the insects accommodation by adding a hotel.  There is plenty information online on DIY bug/insects hotel/homes.  Many of the plans use pallets, we don’t have the space for them and I can imagine Luath would use them as a climbing frame.  We planned a small hotel so it would be more stable and fit better in our garden.
For our hotel’s structure we found the bricks on the beach and the pieces of wood in our garden.  We had lots of fun gathering items for different themed rooms in the hotel. It cost us nothing to build and hopefully we will have lots of beneficial bugs making use of it.
   
I also found some broken patterned terracotta pots on the beach which we used to decorate the front of the hotel.  We added Luath’s stone ladybird so the bugs knew they were welcome.  As Luath would say “Come in, come in, you're welcome in”.
 
While I was hunting for wood I found an old bed post which we utilised to make an architectural unique bug hotel.  We attached some flower pots to the hole in the post and then filled these with grasses, twigs etc.  We placed this behind the bug house.
 
bug hotel
(Luath is 30 months)
Shared with Tuesday Tots and Eco Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets