description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Mini Maths – Weighing Animals

Many things we do are Luath led but I love it when she comes up with almost all of the activity we do.  Last week she was weighed by the health visitor. Last time we weighed her was about 6 months ago and she hasn’t seen the HV since she was 11 months, so it was quite a notable event.  One afternoon Luath was taking things out of her kitchen cupboard and saw this

and she said “oh scales”.  She then picked up one of her animals and weighed it. She played with the scales for a while.  I brought her the kitchen scales.  We had fun finding out the different weights and who was the lightest

and who was the heaviest.  Luckily the bull was near the bottom of the pile so we had plenty of animals becoming the heaviest and able to sing a song “I am the heaviest…..”.

As we did it I found animals weighing from 4-10, all numbers that Luath can usually recognise.  We reweighed them. Luath read the number (not always correctly) and then we (mostly me) lined them up lightest to heaviest.  If it hadn’t been such a spur of the moment activity then I would have had the numbers 4-10 lined up for Luath to place each animal on.

(Luath is 27 months)
Shared with Tuesday tots via Rainy Day mum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets