description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Craft – Gruffalo Natural Art Scavenger Hunt and Picture

The Gruffalo is a big favourite in our house.  We haven’t read the book in a while but we talk about it often, quoting parts of the book and acting it out.  At the weekend Luath saw a pile of logs and immediately said “a log pile house”.  I planned for us to make a Gruffalo so I brought out the book to read.  Next we looked out the colours that makes the Gruffalo. Luath knows her colours so we really didn’t need to do this stage but I thought it was good matching practise. 

Later we went on a natural scavenger hunt for these colours.  I had planned to go to the woods but we ended up doing the hunt in our garden.  We struggled to find bright orange as I was trying to avoid Luath picking our flowers.

I drew the Gruffalo’s outline (sorry doesn't show well in photo) onto thick paper from the inside of a banana box.

We then covered the picture with glue – Luath loved this part.  We then added the leaves, petals, bark to the appropriate parts.

Once it was drier I drew the outline in thick marker pen.  I was quite surprised how well our image turned out.  If you had an older child and more time you could get a stunning picture.
 
(Luath is 30 months)
Shared with Tuesday Tots and Eco kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets