description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Outdoor Play – a pirate treasure hunt

Luath loves pirates and has done for over a year.  I knew she would love to do a pirate treasure hunt.  Last week Luath and I started by making a treasure map.  Dip a tea bag in some water, wipe tea bag over a piece of paper (both sides) and leave to dry.  We found that squeezing the teabag dyed the paper more – not sure if that was because we had a used rather than fresh bag. 

I had found a cardboard treasure box containing some pirate small world play and also a pirate book in a charity shop so I decided these would be our pirate treasure.
Set up was quite quick.  Daddy kept Luath entertained indoors and I didn’t tell him what I was up to.  I drew a simple map of our garden with some key places – bird tree (where bird feeders are), bee trees (insect home here) etc  Where I was to place treasure I marked a cross and I also wrote some our things Luath needed to do and areas with DO NOT ENTER (daddy’s veggie plot).  I put the map in a bottle and into the paddling pool.  Once the hunt was ready I told Luath that her doll had found something.  With great excitement she came out and immediately said it is a treasure map.  She pointed to the red crosses straight away and was heading to them until daddy said she needed to follow the path marked on the map.

The first thing Luath had to do was to collect some gear (spades, binoculars) from her swing.  Then to join the crew at the sandy dig – dig our three pirate figures from her sandpit).
 
Next was bird tree for the first treasure – a pirate book.

Luath had to rescue “dog” from the twister dryer (clothes line whirly).

On to Toad’s home for some hard tack (cheese biscuits), a scurvy saving orange and grog (water).
 
Finally at great speed off to compost land.  The treasure box was inside the empty bin.
   
We spent the rest of the afternoon and after dinner playing with the pirates.  We read our story while having some hard tack and grog.
 
Luath kept telling me how fantastic the treasure things were. 
(Luath is 29 months)
Shared with Tuesday tots and Outdoor Play

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant, who doesn't love a treasure hunt! Thanks for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party, I hope you'll join us again tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the treasure map - my daughter is always drawing her own but she would love this.

    We are sharing pirate ideas of all sorts at Empty Your Archive this week - I would absolutely love for you to come over and share this - Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    ReplyDelete

Commets