Yesterday Luath and I went to uncover one of our raised beds. I had placed some cardboard and boards over it to keep the weeds down. As we lifted one of the wooden boards we discovered a toad ( a common toad).
We don’t have a pond and neither do any of our neighbours. There are a few wee lochs in the area but still a fair distance for a toad to travel. It seemed very happy and we could see a few beasties roaming about that I am sure it was snacking on. However we needed our raised bed. We replaced the board and I checked online for advice on a DIY toad home. I found information on the bbc breathing places site here, which includes a poster on a toad abode. There is a slightly different style at eco kids here. You can also purchase a ready made home.
We have a small wildlife corner, where the grass has been left to grow, along with some nettles and other plants. We have already added some logs, stones and a bug house. Today Luath and I gathered the supplies required for toads new home – a terracotta pot (diameter more than 20cm), a cover for the pot (for a bit more protection from the elements), moist foliage, branches. I dug a hole to rest the pot in on it’s side.
We lined it with some damp long grass and some leaves. Covered the pot with an old bird table top and used some cut branches to cover the entrance (the entrance cover needs improved but it was the best I could do meantime).
Close to the home we placed a plant pot dish level with the ground. We added a stone (so the toad can sit on it) and then filled it with water.
I carefully moved the toad, managing to transfer it on some of the cardboard into the pot. NB Don’t touch toads with your bare hands, I had gloves on too. I am not sure how long the toad will stay but it is very welcome to feast on any slugs and snails that are heading for our veggies.
Shared with Eco Kids via Organic Aspirations and Tuesday tots via Rainy Day Mum
(Luath is 28 months)
Lucky toad!! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Hope you will stop by again today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/06/eco-kids-tuesday_18.html
ReplyDelete