| 17months |
I started this week with the plan to go do a variety of sea related characters – mermaid, pirate, sailors and activities to do with the sea. We started with pirates and Luath was enjoying that so much that we only briefly did anything else. We had a very enjoyable week.
Books
Toys
Some dressing up items – cutlass, hook, paper pirate hat and a scarf
I made a treasure chest using a shoe box. It started the week with beads, then I added some milk bottle tops (jewels), then some gold (sweetie wrappers) and as Luath was pointing out numbers this week I added some numbers cut from items in the recycling bin. She calls everything number 6 and it isn't about her learning the numbers, just recognising their shapes. She saw some letters this week and called those numbers too.
Clothes
I found a fantastic pirate jumper this week in the 50p bin, it must have been waiting for a loving home with us.
It was a good opportunity to put Luath’s pirate AIO nappy on
Food
We worked our way through a big bag of oranges – yummy, no scurvy here!
I made a Pirate Lunch
Activities
Singing “A sailor went to sea”. but sometimes changing it to “A pirate went to sea”
Singing “what shall we do with a lazy baby”- sung to the tune of what shall we do with a drunken sailor, it is a song from our Bookbugs sessions
Singing “when I was one/a pirates life for me” – we learnt this song last summer and instantly we all loved it.
Luath did lots and lots of play with her treasure chest, especially the beads. She called them her treasures. We also did some work on colours using the beads.
She did some walking the plank.
We read the pirate books and acted out the stories a few times in different ways “Tim, Ted and the Pirates”
I turned the bathroom into a sea scene and Luath did some sensory and imaginative play.
We hunted for treasure in different places, including in the woods
Other things this week
As well as pointing out numbers to me, Luath started counting, at first it seemed more like rote learning, but one snack time she was moving her raisins and repeating the numbers. She counts better in Gaelic than English, but perhaps because I often count with her in Gaelic.
Luath continues to climb on everything and anything. She has actually mastered climbing onto the steering wheel of her ride on if she has something to lean against – yikes!
We went to our local high school fun day. It was a wet day but we still enjoyed ourselves. Luath especially loved scooping for rubber ducks and watching a police dog display.
We Skyped my parents one afternoon and it is the first time I would say that Luath has really interacted online. We have Skyped quite a few times, the last time was with daddy a month ago. In the past she knows what is going on, but today she was actually speaking with my parents, laughing with them, showing them things. I know some people don’t like to introduce technology at a young age, but this for me is a huge positive use of technology.
See what other tot school has been happening at 1+1+1=1
"walking the plank" what a cute idea!
ReplyDeleteIt was lots of fun and realy helped her balance
ReplyDelete