I have seen a few different story stones and story dice/cubes online. I thought that a way to introduce Luath to the stones concept was to use them to retell a favourite story. Luath loves “The Gingerbread Man” and she already retells parts of it. She loves pretending to be the gingerbread man, running and saying “run run as fast as you can…”.
On our way home from our walk we collected some stones – the beach is almost all stones so we could have been very selective but I like the variety of the pick the first ones we came across technique. I used permanent pens to draw the six characters from our version of the story. Luath was quite curious what I was doing but unlike when I painted a stone she didn’t become upset.
As I had Luath’s interested I retold “The Gingerbread man”. It was quite an abridged version as Luath was keen to get all the characters involved as quick as possible. She would say “and the cow”, “and the horse”. I used a piece of material for the river.
Next I placed the book and stones into a basket. I put the material beside the basket and left both sitting out.
About an hour later Luath went to the basket, carried it to where I was and sat down to investigate. She took out each stone in turn, piled them up and returned them to the basket. I asked her if she would like to tell me the story. She spent a little longer holding the stones, then selected the fox and gingerbread man. She then said “oh you are too heavy for my back, you’ll get wet, climb onto my nose”. As she spoke she placed the gingerbread man stone on top of the fox. She held the stones a little longer and then asked me to read another story.
I have been thinking of making story dice but I think we will stick to stones for the moment. The texture adds something so special. I wonder if it is best to stick with retelling stories we know and keeping only one character per stone is possibly easier for Luath to follow.
(Luath is 24 months)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Commets