description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Monday, 18 February 2013

Tot kitchen cupboard revisited again - adding some independence and imaginative play

I first made Luath a tot friendly kitchen cupboard in February last year when Luath was 13 months.  The aim was to have one cupboard in our small kitchen that contained items that were safe for Luath to take out and investigate/play with.  All our other cupboards had child locks placed on them. 

I reviewed and altered the contents a few months later after I assessed the objects that she enjoyed exploring the most.

Since last May I have often renewed/altered and frequently tided the cupboard.  Changing the objects that are on immediate view keeps Luath interested.  There are some items that she loves and uses everyday but I wanted to also now store some of Luath’s crockery and cutlery to help give her some independence.

The top shelf now contains some tubs, lids and other kitchen treasures Luath enjoys playing with.  The shelf also is where we keep food storage boxes and jars.

On the middle shelf I have placed a few items of crockery and a container for Luath’s cutlery (a knife, fork and spoon).  We debated about the cutlery but we have made it a rule that the crockery and cutlery are for eating and not play.  After twice removing these items they have not been used for play.  We keep ice cube trays (various shapes) and some moulds here too, which Luath is free to play with.

Luath now is enjoying imaginative play so I have added some of our baking equipment. On the lowest shelf is Luath’s apron and hat, a a baking tray, mini muffin silicone tray with silicone cup cases; a mixing bowl containing a funnel, a microwave egg cup and small measuring jug; a basket containing measuring cups, a wooden spoon, a small salad fork and a whisk. Luath’s salad spinner is also here.  We use this baking equipment so I often have to give them a wash before we cook but the small amount of time is worth it for all the enjoyment Luath has baking cakes, making cups of tea, soup and loads more.

Shared at Living Montessori Now
Montessori Monday
(Luath is 25 months)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets