description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Monday, 5 March 2012

song bag


Making a song bag has been on my to do list for a while.  I am envious of the big box full of goodies that the lady brings out when we go to Bookbugs.   Since Luath was young I have often used props while we have a sing song.  It is usually just whatever comes to hand.  Old MacDonald has had some strange creatures on his farm!

I gathered some finger puppets, soft toys and other toys into a bag, so now I can just grab the bag. Useful for inspiration and also the surprise element of what comes next. It will be interesting to see what Luath things of mixing up the song order each time. One of her books starts with "round and round the garden", followed by "five fat sausages". Now any time we sing "round and round the garden", after I sing it she immediately starts to clap ad say bang (all ready for "five fat sausages"!). We can also use it for Luath to take part in making the choice of what we sing next.







The contents of the bag will probably vary quite a lot.  The contents were either items that we already had or things I had specifically found on my charity shop visits to put into the song bag.







Some ideas for songs linked to contents of bag
-soft cow (Old MacDonald, Hey Diddle Diddle)
- soft cat (pussy cat, pussy cat)
- bath frog (croak croak went the little frog, 5 speckled frogs)
-star (twinkle, twinkle)
-soft teddy (teddy bear, teddy bear)
-horse (horse, horsey; this is the way the ladies ride, mother and father and uncle John)
-bath duck (5 little ducks went swiming)

The bag has a lot of animals, Luath loves making animal sounds, so having lots of them helps to keep her interested and engaged.  I also thought that the bag would be good for using as props to go with stories either read from books or made up.


I also have three glove puppets, still can't believe I picked these up for next to nothing.   They are a bit pricey to buy new but you can make these and I have seen a few tutorials online.

I also made up some pages of pictures (off the net) and will  laminate them and cut.  More songs than I have props for.  I also thought it would be good for when we travel.  Luath is soothed by singing (car travel is not an activity she enjoy). On our long drive to see my family often my brain just can't think of another song, even though I know loads.  I also made up song sheets for all the images I found.  I know the words but daddy doesn't have quite the same bank of songs as I have, so I thought it would be helpful for him.

Some inspiration:

cheapncheerful mummy
laminated pictures for her
son to choose from
can you sing a song a about a.......?
nurture store  props found
around the house

some more ideas here a company selling puppets


Oskar & Ellen Song Bag
an Oskar and Ellen one for purchase
Contains a sheep, spider, bus, star, cat, and a teapot


















linked up with Tuesday tots via Rainy Day Mum Tuesday Tots



No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets