
This month's Virtual Book Club for kids author is David McPhail who I don’t know. The library doesn’t stock any of his books, but I did find videos online of some of his books being read. The one that I was drawn to the most was “Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!”. I found an animation here and the words here. We missed holding the book, pointing out the parts of the illustrations that catches our eyes, turning back a few pages etc, but the rhyming text was such fun it would be a shame to miss.
While I was thinking what we might do inspired by the book I thought I’d look out some pigs. Well I soon realised we had pigs aplenty! Since we had pigs of different material, size, colour and a few the same, I thought we would do some matching and sorting, something we’ve never done in a game/activity way. My idea didn’t work too well, but we did have some piggy fun in the end.
I tried working with Luath on sorting all the pigs that looked the same or all the soft pigs together. She either didn’t understand or wasn’t interested.
Next I talked about the different sizes. She quickly picked out the two biggest pigs and one of the smallest. I tried to then grade the rest of them by saying is this one bigger or smaller etc, but she just watched.
I then traced around four of the different sized pig shapes so we could try some shadow matching. I explained and showed her what the game was, she climbed on my back, but then she came down, put all the pigs in the correct positions and said “no thanks” when I offered to do it again.
At this point I decided to leave the pigs and we went and did something else. Later in the day we were playing with moon sand and when Luath wasn’t looking, I buried some pigs in the sand. She loved it. We repeated the game quite a few times. Each time the discovery of a pig was greeted as if it was the most amazing discovery ever. So we finally found some piggy play with our pigs galore.
(Luath is 24 months)
That looks like a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteBurying in the moon sand continues to be a big hit
Delete