description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Valentine Painting


I thought that we could make some painted valentine hearts.  My plan was for Luath to do some painting and then I would cut heart shaper from her art work.  We didn’t end up with art work that worked for hearts but we did end up with a masterpiece for the kitchen.

First I made some paint by mixing 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup water.  I divided the mixture into four pots and into each pot I put a different amount of red food colouring.  I also added a tiny dash of vanilla flavouring. 


Luath was very excited to get painting, however after a few minute she had finished.  I thought I would change the medium and offered her a stone to paint.  I put some paint onto her stone however this really upset her.  We gave up painting for the day.
 

Luath was keen the next afternoon to get the paint out again.  I retried her painting onto paper for our valentines but again she didn’t do much.  I had recently bought some small canvases and I thought we could try a different surface.  She actually quite enjoyed painting onto the canvas.  Once she had finished (sadly I didn’t take a photo of what she did) I decided to adapt it. I turned an almost heart smudge into a heart and made two thicker colour lines at one end.  It is no stunning masterpiece, but it makes me smile when I see it.  The salt adds a shimmering quality to the paint so it really does sparkle.

(Luath is 24 months)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets