Moon sand/Cloud Dough is something I read about a while ago and there are lots of great ideas online on how it can be used. It is very simple to make, mix 8 parts flour to 1 part oil (vegetable/baby). I used 4 cups of flour to 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
I put the sand into a small sand/water table and placed a box of small sand play items and some kitchen objects nearby.
Luath grabbed a spade and rake and started scooping the sand from one side to the other. Moving the sand was her favourite activity and she tried it with various sized objects.
We made some castles with small buckets and scoops. Luath loved knocking the castles over as soon as they were built.
After a while I added two camels. We built some sand dunes for them to climb and also to get buried in.
Luath’s interested continued for the 45 minutes until lunchtime and was very keen that we would play with the sand later.
It took a few minutes to tidy up. I did have our crafting mat under the table but the sand had escaped it’s perimeter, mainly as the sand gets on your clothes, especially socks. However it vacuumed up easily.
I would highly recommend this activity – cheap, quick, simple, engaging, extendable, variable, fun.
(Luath is 24 months)
Moon Sand is so much fun...to make and to play with! Thanks for sharing (and reminding me of this...we may need to do this again soon!)
ReplyDeleteAs soon as we were downstairs this morning she asked if we could play with the sand, so you could say it was a great success.
Delete