description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Sunday, 24 March 2013

Rhythm of the week colours

Waldorf places importance in the use of colours and one thing that is often done is assigning a colour to a day.  I have been doing a weekly colour rhythm with Luath since she was under one, but not consistently.  I finally have made some coloured peg dolls and also day blocks to sit with our date blocks. 
I previously decided to follow the rainbow colours, altering violet for white. Starting with red for Monday.  I only recently discovered that Waldorf have set colours, along with planets and grains for each day.  I understand the link with the planets but not sure why colour/grain was chosen for each day.  I have stuck with what we have been doing.  The peg dolls are simple ones covered with scraps of felt.  I gave each one a different hat style for fun.

The coloured day blocks were plain building blocks that I coloured using water soluble pencils.  I then wrote the days of the week.  I made two sets, one in English the other in Gaelic.  They could be much prettier but getting them finished was the key.  We already had the months in English with the date block so I wrote the months in Gaelic on some plain blocks. 

The dolls and date blocks all now sit on a spice rack shelf in the living room.  Each morning we alter the date, turn the day block to the correct one and place the doll for that day next to the date block.  The rest of the dolls sit in order at the back of the shelf on the spare day blocks. Luath likes the colourful dolls so they don’t always stay on the shelf. On the shelf above I try to place a book of the day.  Meantime I have placed our Gaelic flashcards (these are aimed at parents learning Gaelic) and have a new word or phrase for me to try to use during the day.
  
We are still working on returning to/sorting out our daily rhythm.
(Luath is 26 months)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets