description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Friday, 8 March 2013

Simple Science – So what would happen to the Gingerbread man if he had got wet?

Luath loves the story of the Gingerbread man.  About a month ago I made her story stones of the tale. 

She quite often takes these stones out and retells herself the story.  She doesn’t tell it from start to finish, just parts here and there.  Often she makes new additions, yesterday I heard her have the little old man and woman stones talking to each other and then giving each other a kiss. 

Her favourite part is when the fox takes the Gingerbread man across the river.  I thought it would be fun to let Luath see what would happen if the Gingerbread man had tried to cross the river without the aid of the fox.  We made some gingerbread biscuits, they tasted yummy but where a bit rugged as we had had a few interruptions during the process.

The Experiment
Luath loves it when I say we are going to do an experiment.  I asked her what she thought would happen when the Gingerbread man went into the water (hard question for her but I was curious what she would say).  She replied “I don’t know”  I gave her some time to answers as often that is her quick first response.  She didn’t offer anything further so we got started.

We filled a tub with water then added the gingerbread man.  First he floated, then slowly sank.

He went slightly fuzzy looking.  At this point I suggested Luath should feel him.  I gave her another gingerbread man to feel the difference.

Luath ate her (control!) biscuit and we watched the test subject.  Luath decided to start pushing and breaking up the man in the water and he became mushy quite quickly.

We talked about why the Gingerbread man in the story had decided to accepted the offer of help from the fox.Later when we told daddy about our experiment, he suggested we should have also had the dog play the part of the fox – she would have definitely eaten the man up.

Science questions answers the question why does a biscuit go soggy quicker in milky tea?  and explains what happens when a biscuit is dunked.
(Luath is 25 months)
Shibley Smiles
Shared with Read.Explore.Learn at JDaniel4’s Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets