description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Monday, 4 March 2013

Taking a rice sensory tub outdoors

It had been months since  Luath explored some rice.  We retried again about two weeks ago and she enjoyed the experience however rice ended up everywhere.  I had placed the tub on a large plastic sheet but it still escaped – getting stuck into Luath’s clothes, pinging out as transferred etc.  I try to be relaxed about mess, but when the mess spreads over a large area it is a bit of a pest.  I wanted to let Luath really explore the rice and not feel like I was constraining her, but it was a thought to bring the tub out again.  One day when we were playing outdoors, Luath spied the rice in the kitchen cupboard where I keep some toys for easy access while outdoors, and asked to play with it. Outdoors, I thought what a perfect place.

We had lots of fun scooping, pouring, whisking, running rice through our hands….  Luath started standing but then I brought out two step stools for us.  Luath did decide she was going to eat some rice and she thought it was very yummy. 

There was quite a bit of rice on the patio after we were finished which Luath asked to sweep up.  At the moment for us outdoors is definitively the best place for the rice sensory tub. 
(Luath is 25 months)

 Shared at Living Montessori Now
Montessori Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets