description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Saturday, 26 January 2013

100 Acts of kindness week 1 – Love the environment



Last year I remember reading about the 100 Acts of kindness at Toddler Approved, but we didn’t participate.  This year I thought we would join in.  The challenge set for week 1 by coffee cups and crayons is love the environment.

Birds
Usually we feed the birds and leave them water but I have let this slide.  Luckily for the birds a lot of our neighbours put out bird food so they are well catered for.  We still get many birds who find lots to naturally eat but it is nice to offer them water and easy access food. It is also great to have the birds coming to a set spot so Luath can view them easier.

Luath and I moved the bird bath and found a pot base to use as a ground level bird bath.  We added a stone to each bath as it is easier for the birds. I then found our tray we use for seed on the ground.  We filled the bird baths and put seeds out.


One thing I have been planning to do with Luath for a long time is make pine cone feeders.   We found it a bit difficult to get the peanut butter to stick to the cone – maybe we had the wrong type of cone.  I ended up having to really push, squash and cram the peanut butter on to get it to stick.  Luath did then manage to join in with the seed rolling.
    

After lunch Luath sat and watched the birds while I washed the dishes. 


The next day we took a bag of bird sunflower seeds on our walk.  We placed a few seeds on a few tree stumps for the many birds that live in the woods.  I know the area well and if some of those seeds do grow into sunflowers it will add to this part of the wood and won’t upset the natural environment but enhance it.


Chalk Graffiti Hearts
On our walk back from the woods, Luath and I added some chalk hearts to pretty up some manmade objects and hopefully add a smile to those who saw them.
 

We also drew one on the back door for daddy to see when he got home.

(Luath is 24 months)

2 comments:

  1. Love that you are participating in 100 Acts of Kindness and the bird seed on a walk is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you are participating! You're bird feeding ideas are fantastic! And I love those chalk hearts--we will have to do some too!

    ReplyDelete

Commets