12.5 months
This was our second week concentrating on body parts, week one here and some of the body part resource links I found here. Not a big tot school week as we had other things on, the main one being a trip to see my family. It was great fun to see Luath play with her younger cousin.
Learning Basket
Books
Luath and I spent a while in our local town's library looking through picture books to see if there were anyone that talked about body parts other than face/head. We found lots of lovely books but none that fitted our requirements.
I kept two books from last week as Luath loved them so much.
![]() |
| from ten little fingers and ten little toes |
and added The Smartest giant in town (only really mentions neck, but can talk about his long legs)
We read Stomp a lot
Toys
Wooden peg puzzle
A threading toy (thread and beep)- not in the basket, I found it this week and Luath had a play with it


Activity File
I stuck to the same as last week, with lots of songs/poems, naming body parts on Luath, myself and her baby. Plenty repetition. I read a few weeks ago that it takes 500 repetitions for a child to pick a word up (not sure if that is accurate)
Craft
While I was making a pizza base I gave Luath some dough to play with, more just to see what she would do. Well she tried to eat it, squashed it in her hand then threw it on the floor. Will be a little time before I need to make play dough.
Art
Attempted to do some colouring but Luath has been more into mouthing than usual (and she mouths a lot) so this didn't last long.
Played with my parent's megasketcher (they use it as a message board)
Music
My dad played a few different things for Luath to listen to. He also brought out some musical instruments for us to play together.
Poetry
One of many was After my bath by Aileen Fisher. "....Hands to wipe and fingers and toes and two wet legs and a shiny nose...."
Toy Basket
Some skittles and a ball
A sling for her baby (I found this week, have been planning to make one and still will , but in the meantime this one will do), not that she wears her baby, she prefers to drag round by the sling!
Toy car dashboard (this was in my pile to redonate, but daddy suggested we keep it for another wee while, glad he did as she actually enjoyed pressing the buttons, using the indicators)
Other things this week
We made pancakes for Shrove Tuesday (which I discovered I was two weeks early for!)
![]() |
| Luath thinking fruit bowl contents a better bet than our pancakes! |
Visited a pets corner. A lot of the animals we see every day when we walk the dog, but it was still fun to share it with Luath and my nephew.
Lots of tine with family.
Learning to walk outdoors in wellies.
Unexpected toy of the week
As I was tidying, a bundle of (free from a supermarket) Disney collector cards fell from a bag, Luath spent quite some time picking them up, looking at them and of course chewing a few corners.
Find out what others were up to this week at 1+1+1=1









Great post. Do you ever create your own books and/or PowerPoints presentations? I did this for my little one to teach her the parts of the body. I also made up little songs to go with them. I use her name in the songs which she loves too.
ReplyDeleteWhen we get dressed in the mornings, we go through the same song and the parts of the body. We sing...
Eyes, nose, mouth and chin
Eyes, nose, mouth and chin
Eyes, nose, mouth and chin
Now let's start all over again
Have fun!
thanks, yes we make up songs too. Haven't yet made her any books, have taken some photos and some clipart to do some simple mini books. Now we have a laminator I really must get around to it.
Delete