description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Monday, 27 February 2012

Coloured ice cube play

Our adventure with coloured ice cubes didn't go too well, but we have more in the freezer waiting for a replay. 

What you need:
water
food colouring
ice cube tray (or some small containers or bigger if you want!)
a freezer (or frosty weather)
clear sealable plastic bags and maybe tape to reinforce seal (could do without bags if wish)
I poured some red, blue and yellow natural food colouring into different sections of an ice cube tray.  I then topped each section up with water and left in the freezer for a few hours to set.  I would suggest that you make a flat space ready in your freezer for the tray rather than trying to juggle a space and getting food colouring all over the inside of the freezer as you place it on top of uneven boxes.  Oh and watch out for a little one making off with a few boxes of goodies from the freezer while you are moving things around.
the ice cubes looked very pretty

Once frozen I placed a red and a blue ice cube into a clear bag. Make sure it is a bag with a very good seal, you may wish to tape the top. I then handed the bag to Luath for her to explore.  She held it, looked at it, then threw it on the floor.  I picked it up, showed her the ice cubes moving and how it was leaving red trails inside the bag.  She took, threw it on the floor and in no uncertain terms told me she wanted out of her chair. 
not very clear picture but can
see the start of the ice cube melting

A little later I handed Luath the bag again, she was more interested this time.  She had a little push and prod of the ice cubes.  Then took the ice cube (still inside the bag) to her mouth.  Unfortunately as she did this the bag leaked red colouring, making it look like Luath and I had been in quite an accident. We still had some frozen jelly icicles so I went and got one for her, I think her next two slowly emerging top teeth were bugging her.  She enjoyed mouthing that.


I can see this actually be a great activity and for ages younger than Luath and a lot older.  The little ones just enjoying the feel of the ice cubes, and seeing the colours melt and merge.  The older ones learning about colours mixing.   If you don't wish to use bags then I would think carefully about where you will do this as the food colouring really stained.  Think I may have a search for tastier and less staining food colouring I can make myself.



sharing with Tuesday Tots via Rainy Day Mum check out what other things tots have been up to

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets