description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Sunday, 5 February 2012

(tiny) tot school - parts of the body part I


12.5 months


This week and next week's theme is parts of the body.  This week being more the head and face, although because a lot of the songs/poems including other parts it is a bit of everything, but mainly concentrating on the top end!  Some links to body part resources are here

Learning Basket
Books


We had put "Nosey Norman" a favourite library book back last week and it would have been perfect for this weeks theme, but 9 weeks out of the library was probably long enough!  We still "read" it and did the sniffing sounds that he does in the book.









Toddlererobics
Funny Faces
Head, Shoulders, knees and Toes
Ten little finger and ten little toes (I got this a few months ago for making a pledge to talk to Luath
at talk to your baby)






Toys

Who knows the nose game.

I debated about buying this in a charity shop, half of the cards/noses were missing, but I decided that what was there would work for us. Luath and I had a lot more fun playing with this than I thought, well worth my £1. It was good fine movement for her to try and put the noses onto the animals. We giggled while holding the cards up and letting our own noses be the animal nose and placing an animal nose onto our own nose







.

Little red riding hood two way doll
This was from my childhood so it has seen better days.  Luath thinks the wolf is a dog (she signs and makes dog noises when she sees him).  Great for naming face parts.













Shape sorter
Luath has a couple of times put a shape in and pushed it through (as of tonight the 5th she can get the circle in each time)  Other times she has handed the shape to me, I will then place it in the correct slot but leave it for her to push through.  She quite likes carrying the shapes about in the base.

Activity File

Singing The main thing we did on this week's theme was to sing body part songs, especially head, shoulders, knees and toes, in English and Gaelic.  I also sang "If your happy" and "Here we go round the mulberry bush", just changing the words to be things like "twitch your nose", "scratch your ear"

Body parts I did quite a bit of talking and pointing to different body parts, mainly eyes/nose/mouth/ears and head, on each other, her 'baby', soft toys and the dog.  Luath can point to head and say head, and will point to her face if you say "suillan" (eyes)

Blowing nose  Luath had her first proper cold a few weeks ago and she was not to keen on her nose being wiped.  We then started a game of rubbing each others noses.  She will still occasional pick up something (a fleece wipe or a sock) and rub it under her nose.  This week we played a game of rubbing under your nose and also making blowing noses, at times with a wipe at other times just with hand near nose.


Music

We listen to some Gaelic songs from the Play@home CD as they have some with body parts.  You can hear and download the CD at gaelic4parents.

We listened to some Edvard Grieg - Morning and Hall of the Mountain King. I had a go at playing a little bit of it on the keyboard, music sheet (going from very high to low notes isn't easy for a pretty much non piano player!). No link to this weeks theme just going through the music that I enjoyed listening to as a child.

Poetry

Read/sang from the books I had looked out that had some poems that mentioned body parts.

Other things this week

Looked at our shadows, played shadow puppets and read the poem "My shadow" for Groundhog day.





Did some jelly fingerpainting.
 


I experimented with freezing jelly.  Luath then experienced frozen jelly lollies.

Did our first set up water play.


Find out what others were up to this week at 1+1+1=1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets