description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Sunday, 19 February 2012

Nursery Rhyme Theme

nurs·er·y rhyme
Noun: A simple traditional song or poem for children.


from working mother in zion blog?orignal source

I have been toying with the idea of having a weekly nursery rhyme theme, they can cover so many areas and have so many good learning advantages.  I recently saw spell out loud's blog (via totally tots), who has recently started doing nursery rhymes (with an older tot than Luath) and decided I would give my idea a go.

Like most of my ideas, I have gathered some resource links, some to use now, some for when Luath is older, some inspiration and others just because.  I am starting with Baa, Baa, Black sheep, one of Luath's favourite rhymes ( resources in the next post).

from speech tx
Some links to why nursery rhymes are good
scilearn.com (science reasons)
burnsparentsmart (science reasons)
superduperinc.com ( target p, b, t, d, k, g, and m, sounds)
nurseryrhymesonline (simpler reasons)
examiner (simpler reasons)
etsy
I am still trying to decide which ones we will do.

one site's top nursery rhymes (has lots of rhymes and their origins)are:
 Jack and Jill, Humpty Dumpty, Sing a song of sixpence and Hey diddle diddle.


Booktrust's survery results top ten are:
Hickory Dickory Dock, Little Miss Muffet, Round and round the garden, Incy wincy Spider, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Jack and Jill, Grand Old Duke, Twinkle Twinkle, Humpty Dumpty, If you are happy and you know it - def not a nursery rhyme in my opinion
etsy
Superduper's top nursery rhyme/songs for targeting sounds(see above link)
The Itsy Bitsy Spider, Pat-A-Cake, Jack Be Nimble, Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater, One Two Buckle My Shoe, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Little Bo Peep and Little Miss Muffet
from
Luath's top nursery rhymes
Definite top four:
Baa Baa Black Sheep
Twinkle Twinkle
Humpty Dumpty
Row row row your boat
Others:
Incy Wincy Spider
Five Fat Peas
Horsey Horsey
This is the way the ladies ride

Probably more songs than rhymes
Dingle Dangle Scarecrow
Lavenders Blue
How much is that doggie
Wheels on the bus
Old MacDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets