description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Sunday, 19 February 2012

(tiny) tot school - Love theme

13 months
We were still spending time with my family at the start of the week.  This week's theme was love to tie in with Valentine's Day.

Learning Basket
Books:
Spot loves his dad

You are all my favourites

This little baby


Toys:
Two metal tins (lid on/off, putting objects in/out)
Wooden puzzle

Activity File

Heart shaped cooking rings onto kitchen paper towel holder
There were two rings, Luath was busy with the other.
 She spent quite a while playing with this.  The pole was actually a little too high but she did manage to get the rings on and off.  She also enjoyed investigating the kittchen holder and the rings.





Luath made up her own activity, putting the rings into a welly boot.  She discovered that only one could fit, it was easier putting in into the boot than getting it out and that it is difficult to put a ring into the boot if you are holding the boot closed with your other hand.











We practised signing "I love you", more like the one in the right of the picture.  We use the book My First  signs .  I do like the ASL one hand sign and we have added that to our signs.


 
 I made sure that I did the "I love you part" when I gave Luath a  massage.









Music
from living colour
We listened to The Carnival of the Animals on CD, introduction and the lions here. Daddy and I both studied this at school (in fact it was the only piece of classical music that daddy studied) so it was fun seeing if we remembered much about it and if we knew which each animal was.

Poetry
Edward Lear's nonsense alphabet
Lots of silly rhyming nonsense poems from a book at my parents.  I have since read that alliteration and rhyming are fantastic preparation work for children learning the alphabet, they help grasp sounds.  This site has quite a few nonsense poems and this ones writes about alliteration poems, with  examples, a long list of tongue twisters and a link to books that have alliteration.

Toy Basket
My mum found a ride on toy for Luath's birthday so we took it home with us.  Luath still is unsure about sitting on it, but has had fun pressing the buttons, pushing it along and lifting the seat lid to put objects inside.

A tool box and tool belt

Some cooking utensils - no longer needed by my parents.  Luath loved these, especially the whisk, has been whisking the floor, took it into the bath and generally carrying it around.


Other things this week
Sharing a carrot cake muffin with mummy, a treat on our long journey home. Mmmmmm...

Walking on the beach and feeling the sand between her fingers



Some swinging, making the most of it not raining.

Unexpected toy of the week
Has to be the whisk.


Find out what others were up to this week at 1+1+1=1










No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets