description

A blog to record our learning while we play and laugh

Sunday, 26 February 2012

(tiny) tot school - Baa Baa Black Sheep


13 months


Thia week's theme was Baa, Baa, Black Sheep.  I had been thinking about using nursery rhymes as a theme, they are one of the things that Luath gets very excited and involved in.  I read spell outloud's post (via totally tots) about how  that she was about to start (and has now) doing nursery rhyme activities and was inspired to go ahead with the idea.  I wrote a bit more about my nursery rhyme thinking here and have some Baa Baa Black sheep resources here. 

Learning Basket
Books: I looked out quiet a few sheep/farm books.

We sat on our farm quilt (charity shop find - like so much of our goodies!) while we read or sang

Toys:
Fun stacker



wooden farm characters















 pull along sheep (a bit like this one)


Soft Sheep Pull Along

Activity File

I learnt from the video above by singing hands how to sign along to Baa Baa Black sheep, so I did that often. 

Acting out the song with 3 small bags, a sheep, and four figures. A bit like a felt/flannel board. (Luath still puts everything in her mouth, so these were much better for her than felt or paper). I would bring each character out at the appropriate time. We had a little boy and a little girl as I tend to alternate the last line.  I also often change master, dame etc, to mummy, daddy, Luath, dog, sometimes the last line is one of us, sometimes it is why the last person named would want the wool i.e. to snuggle up in


Luath as she always does, made up her own activity of taking the characters and putting them into a jug and taking them out.  She played at this for a long time.

I made up a page to put in a ring binder using the picture below, a public domain picture here and the rhyme in English and Gaelic.  Plan to add to this over the weeks.
ba ba black sheep

I also made up an easy reader style book with characters I quickly drew in paint (not easy on a laptop!) I didn't like the pictures I had seen for a master, dame etc.  Mine were no works of art but Luath made a baa as soon as she saw my sheep so that was all that mattered!

Music
Apart from singing along to Baa Baa Black sheep, we listened to Vivaldi's Four Seasons.  Luath boogied along to some of it.  She has such natural rhythm.
Toy Basket
farm barn with peep blocks

soft farm house/garden


ride on, which she still has no interest in riding

the usual suspects - her baby, football, doggie backpack

Other things this week
We went to see the black sheep in a field nearby
We chased two white sheep from the garden (we must fix our gate!)



I made a tot friendly cupboard in the kitchen, Luath loved exploring the contents.

Luath discovered the stairs.  She hasn't given them a glance and then this week suddenly decided she was off and zoom she was at the top (with me right behind her)

We went to a funeral of a lovely man, retired minister, who I was on a committee with.  Luath was the only child there (there were a lot of people at it), which was a shame he loved children and his wife does a lot with our little local school.

Unexpected toy of the week
She has discovered the basket I have of dog toys and other dog related things, which is on the trolley her nappy bucket is on.   She happily walked about with a toy bone one morning while I made breakfast and daddy supervised to make sure she didn't put it in her mouth.  She keeps returning to that area, have rehomed the items but she lives in hope of finding another great prize.


Find out what others were up to this week at 1+1+1=1
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Commets